Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Too SUPER at ovulation? WTF?

Seriously.  This is just the most ridiculous, contradictory, asinine thing I've ever heard.

As you know, I started hormone stimulating injections last week.  The docs call this treatment program "Superovulation." Superovulation is a term used to describe the drug-induced production of multiple eggs.  Normally, a woman ovulates just one egg per cycle. With the use of fertility drugs, she may be able to produce several eggs.  Obviously, with the production of several eggs, the risk of multiple births rises.

Accordingly, the protocol for these injections is very stringent, requiring monitoring about every 3-4 days.  An uterine ultrasound is performed to monitor the amount of follicles developing within the ovaries. Sometimes the drugs used for superovulation work "too well," leading to the production of too many eggs.  This can lead to a potentially fatal condition known as ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, or even more frightening, me becoming the next Octomom.  

So, I went back to my RE today to see how I was doing.  They took blood work and did an uterine ultrasound.  Good news:  It is clear that the injections are working.  We could clearly see follicles/eggs forming.  However, my doc expressed concern that I might be responding too well to the medication.  The goal is to produce a few strong eggs, instead of a bunch of weak ones.  We won't know for sure until my next appointment whether I have produced too many.  But if it turns out that I have, we will have to cancel further treatment this cycle and try again in a couple months.

I understand the reasoning behind cancelling the cycle.  I'm not a dog (although I have been called a female one on several occasions), and I don't want to give birth to a litter of anything.   Similarly, I don't want to get ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.  In addition to the health risks to me from this syndrome, it can actually aggravate infertility.  That being said, I cannot express how disappointed I will be if we have to cancel.  Canceling will mean more waiting, more tests, more medication, more treatments, and (least important but still a significant consideration) more money that we don't have.  But the hardest to take will be this:  I began these treatments because I am not able to fully produce eggs and ovulate on my own.  To be prevented from going forward because I am now producing too many eggs would be nothing short of devastating.  And cruelly ironic.

I tried to take this news in stride today.  I tried to keep a smile, and continue thinking positively.  But then I heard about two friends who are expecting.  I HATE that hearing this wonderful news makes me sad.   And I hate it makes me feel jealous and inferior.

All in all, not a great day.  Not a horrible day, but not a great one.   I should know more Friday.   I will be praying that we can proceed with the IUI this month.  To my loyal readers and anyone else who happens across this entry:  your prayers at this time would also be appreciated.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you! I stumbled upon your blog and my husband and I just found out I have PCOS and posibly other issues. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete