Thursday, January 6, 2011

No wonder we are all fat!


It's no secret that America is fat in general.  I used to think we were all just lazy and spoiled.  Now I realize most of us can't afford to be thin!

In the past I have shopped at Whole Foods and the Fresh Market for certain specialty items.  For everyday groceries, I went to Kroger or Walmart.  Although I bought organic sometimes, I certainly didn't make it a hard-and-fast rule.  And yes, my reluctance to go full-throttle with the organic thing was mostly due to the cost.  When I stood in the produce aisle and saw that the organic pepper cost almost double the non-organic pepper, I thought to myself "It's just a damn pepper.  It's a vegetable.  Really, how bad can it be"  And I promptly loaded the non-organic and thus budget-friendly pepper into the cart.  Not anymore.

The shopping list for our new diet required almost all organic, hormone free foods.  Not that I'm surprised.  The meal plan is specifically created for those of us suffering from PCOS, a syndrome caused from the fact that our own hormones are completely-whacked.  So, It makes sense that because my hormones are already whacked, I should not ingest any outside hormones other than those delivered by my medication.    I wanted to buy most of the items at Kroger or Walmart.  However, Tom insisted that he doesn't "trust" these stores to be honest about whethter the foods are actually organic.  So, off we went with our shopping list to Whole Foods.  Geez Louise!  I am in sticker shock. 

I am absolutely amazed at the amount we paid for ONE WEEK of groceries last night.  ONE WEEK!  We paid almost the same amount that we usually spend on groceries for a whole month!  I almost passed out at the register! 

WASHINGTON;  FORGET HEALTHCARE!  The real regulation needs to happen in the healthy-food section of the Grocery store.  Maybe if it were easier to eat healthy we wouldn't need a bunch of healthcare.  Seriously, it was just ridiculous.

So, anyway, I was so damn paranoid about this expensive food going bad that we stopped by bed bath and beyond on our way home to buy special organization items for all the fresh veggies.   I even bought those green bags you see advertised on TV.  I'm sure they are useless, but I am going to do everything I can to protect the small-fortune of an investment that now lives in my fridge.

My main point is this:  The infertility thing is crazy expensive.  Between the costs of the actual medical treatment and medication (not covered by insurance), and now food, we may quickly find ourselves in the poor house.   Wouldn't that be irnoic:  If we loose all our money we will qualify for food stamps and therefore get the food for free...Now there is an idea.

As a final thought, I want to share a little inside joke Tom tells me when I start beating myself up over all of this crap.  I am sometimes sad that I just can't seem to do this one thing that we women are supposed to do.  Not that we are perfect or anything, but we really try to do all the right things.  For example, I have been taking pre-natal vitamins for years (my hair and nails are thankful), neither of us smoke (I quit my destructive, but oh so satisfying, part-time habit specifically for our unborn child), we don't really drink alcohol absent a glass of wine with dinner, we don't (nor have ever) done drugs, and now we are eating like rabbits!  I sometimes am overwhelmed with it all and need a laugh.  That's when Tom tells me his backup plan...

Tom tells me that if after all this modern-medicine we still haven't conceived conceived, he has a fool-proof plan that will have me pregnant in no time.  Here it is:  We are going to quit our jobs, move to section 8, he is going to keep me stocked with Marabrol Lights and Vodka which I will be free to enjoy barefoot in front of the housing complex, and we will eat nothing but McDonald's and drink nothing but Mountain Dew.  He swears that he has witnessed this particular conception method work time and time again.  As he says, "I'm telling you, we will have six kids in no time, and all nine months apart."

Keep in mind this little joke comes from a long-time policeman who has seen it all (maybe too much) and now is a bit jaded.  But, it still makes me giggle. Wonder if it would work...

1 comment:

  1. ha Seems to work for my sister in law, who is also a stripper..OY VEY! Hey girl, it's not so easy to get prego for alot of us. Hang in there, God is good and he has a plan for you and Tom! Big hugs.. and happy coupon cutting ;)

    ReplyDelete