Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Obamacare: Just another kick in the gut to hardworking Americans

Generally, this blog is personal NOT political.  But there are times when the political gets so wrapped up with the personal, that it just CANNOT be helped.  I must speak.  I must bitch.



It is no secret that I'm a conservative.  Although I've been equally disgusted by both political parties lately, I have always identified more with the Republican party.  That is not to say I agree with their entire platform.  But, when it comes to financial and economic issues, I am extremely conservative.  So, I classify myself more succinctly as a Libertarian.  Ie:  I really don't care what you do, just leave me alone.  Marry whomever you want; what's it have to do with me?  If you are an adult and want to kill yourself smoking crack, meth, etc., go ahead.  That is your business.  But just don't come crying to me.  Don't come asking me for help, or medical care, or anything.  I don't want to hear OR pay for it.

And I am not completely opposed to public assistance, but ONLY where it is necessary.  There should be real limits and conditions placed on an individual's ability to live off the government.  Failure to do so fosters laziness and government dependence.  A citizenry that is too dependent on the government for its personal needs becomes RULED by that government.  Their ability to dissent and/or demand change is all but abolished in such a situation.  Aside from that, government dependence is just so un-American.  Ug.

Finally, I'm just going to say it:  I don't like paying for it.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and admit that yes, I am one of those bitches that gets genuinely pissed every time I set aside 30% of my income to pay taxes.  Add to that sales tax, property tax, school tax, city tax, county tax, vehicle tax, etc. and we spend almost 60% of our money on taxes each year.  Think about THAT the next time you are having a bad day at work.  And what do those tax dollars pay for?  About 35% of America's budget is spent on Medicare, Medicaid, and Welfare.  To put this in perspective, only 20% of the budget is spent on National Defense.  Our Constitution states that the main purpose of the Federal Government is to protect and secure our states against outside threats.   So, what is the deal?!?

For all the reasons above I have become extremely frustrated with the current state of our government.  When I stand behind someone at the grocery store who reaches her freshly manicured hand into her designer bag to find food stamps to pay for her steak, I get pissed.  Especially when I decided to fix chicken for dinner instead of steak because we are on a budget.  Also, when I hear a 20 year old Defendant advise the court that he/she is on "disability" and needs a free attorney, disability for "emotional issues", I get pissed.  Something is so wrong in this country. 

So, it is no surprise that I am also extremely opposed to nationalized healthcare.  I can't think of ONE INSTANCE where the government's intervention in private industry helped.  Not one.  And this is coming from a former government employee.  Trust me, government is wasteful, incompetent, and always political.  I wouldn't want government overseeing my yard work much less my healthcare!

Which brings me to the reason for this blog entry:  OBAMACARE IS NOT FREE.  Not only will our taxes pay for this public assistance program, but private insurance companies are forced to increase premiums on hardworking Americans.   A set of provisions included in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act  gives the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) sweeping new powers to impose a wide range of detailed benefit requirements on employer-sponsored health plans and major medical policies sold by health insurers. This will effectively make all health insurance benefits uniform—depriving patients of choices—increase the cost of coverage for tens of millions of Americans, and stifle insurance innovation.

Case in point:  I recently got on Tom's insurance plan.  Immediately after the passage of Obamacare, his insurance company cut several benefits, raised co-pays, and doubled our Deductible.  That means that the cost of having our baby in October went from $2000 to $4000 overnight.  That also meant that Tom's blood pressure medicine went from a co-pay of $4 to $50, overnight.  That also meant that my prescription for progesterone supplements which I MUST HAVE TO SUSTAIN THIS PREGNANCY are no longer covered as acceptable pre-natal care.  So, we are privately paying the $350 every 21 days for my supplements.  Needless to say at this point, but I am pissed.

The point is this:  Somebody has to pick up the slack for those who are asking for a free ride.  Unfortunately, its always hard-working middle-class Americans who do so.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100% Amanda! It's gotten so out of hand and so ridiculous!!! I am glad you put it out there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this should be a letter to the editor! I agree as well! We need choices and health care is already screwed up, its going to be 100x worse with the government putting their hand in it. I am pretty much sure our business will be screwed too. The therapy world is soo often considered 'optional'. If your sick, you can take a test, flu for instance, and get meds, feel better. But if you have speech problem, Autism, Downs Syndrome, etc, research shows the therapy will benefit but each insurance decides what they want to pay for. So you can only imagine what the government will decide what to pay for......(i.e. Medicare wont pay for hearing aides...who is on Medicare? old people...who needs hearing aides....OLD PEOPLE!!! usually of course)

    ReplyDelete