Friday, November 26, 2010

The Security Blanket

We had our FIRST SNOW of the season last night!!!!  What a perfect beginning to the holiday season. 

I'm somewhat of an oddity in that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE snow.  I'm not ashamed to admit that the childhood excitement surrounding "snow days" has never left me.  So, winter after winter, I instantly revert back to an eight year old little girl with the falling of the first flake.  The only down side I can see to snow is that it causes me to miss my litle sis even more than usual. 

Some of my fondest childhood memories are set in the winter.  Laura and I used to squeeze over the top of one of the heat returns in our old house, cover up with a blanket, and lay there all night watching the snow fall.  Periodically, we took turns leaving our warm little snuggle sanctuary to run into the kitchen and ask dad whether school had been called off yet.  He, as many of you would remember, spent most nights in the kitchen watching television and listening to the radio (yes, at the same time).  Now an entire book, much less blog, could be dedicated to the oddities and habits of my father, but this is one we could never understand.  How could he listen to the television and talk radio at the same time?  I have no idea.  But, "snow days" were the one time this confusing and annoying habit actually came in handy.  When the word came out, he would be one of the first to know.  And sure enough, when that unlucky sister came running back to get under the blanket again, she was always met by the other who had kept her spot warm and ready for her return. 

My sister and I did not have a perfect childhood by any means.  We had our share of problems within our home.  For every wonderful memory, there is a hurtful one there too.  Our family, like so many others, was plagued by substance abuse and dysfunction.  But age has taught me that no one family is perfect.  This fact is true no matter how good some are at hiding it.   At the end of the day, the overwhelming consistency in my childhood was love.  I was a loved child.  My family may have been crazy and dysfunctional, but overall, the crazies were a loving bunch and to me this was more than enough.

My sister and I are closer now that we have ever been.  I feel so fortunate to have her.  When I think of what it would like to be an only child, to not have someone to share our family's joys and sorrows with, it is truly unimaginable to me.  As an adult, I have come to realize the magic and blessing of a sibling relationship.  You take care of eachother.  But, what is more impressive to me is that when I look back, we were doing it as children too.  We did it instinctively.  Without even knowing it. 

Today, I know anytime that I feel cold or lonely, my sister is just a phone call away.  She is still sitting over that heat vent, holding my side of the blanket up, saying "come on in", and always ready to shelter me from the cold.  I can only hope that if I am able to have one child that I can have another so that he or she can experience this truly remarkable lifelong relationship.

Thank you Laura for continuing to be a source of support and love.  You continue to inspire me.  I can't wait to see you and Ben at Christus.  xoxo  I love you  :)   

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. you mean the world to me.

    You'll always be my preferred snuggle buggie!

    xooxxo

    ReplyDelete