Saturday, May 28, 2011

Baby Bar Exam

Ok...

Maybe it is because this is my first baby.   Maybe it's because I am a perfectionist.  Or maybe I am just plain stupid.  But, seriously, I am so overwhelmed by all the baby products that I had anxiety attacks over doing this registry!!!  Should it really be so difficult?!? 

On Tuesday after our OB appointment Tom and I  made the trip to Babies R Us.  We spent an hour and half reading tags, comparing products which we have no idea about, and scanning items.  Poor Tom figured he would be useful as he did all this with his son, but baby products have come a long way in 18 years!!! As we walked the aisles, I felt almost as I did taking the bar exam seven years ago.  i.e.  I just wanted to scan whatever and get out of there!!!  But still, we built what I thought was a pretty good registry...

That was until my friend Allison took a look.  Allison is mommy of two and our unofficial (i.e. unpaid lol) interior decorator for project baby.  I asked her to do so and give me suggestions on items we had forgotten and/or those that were useless. She was the perfect person to do this because Allison is super cautious, oober-organized, and not shy about expressing her opinions.  Let's just say she wrote a small novel outlining the problems!!  LOL  Being that she knows SO much better than I do, I made the suggested changes and updated STAT.  I let Lori take a look at the modified registry and it seems that we are now on the right track.  

Now that we know that the baby is a Lana, we are turning our attention to preparing her room.

The carpet in the baby's room has been ruined by my beautiful cat Scarlett over these past few years...so new carpet is a must.  I put a deposit down on that yesterday. Money being scarce, we are reusing many pieces of furniture, opting to refinish them instead of buy new. 

Allison has helped me come up with a beautiful color palette for little Lana's room.  I am so excited to see it come together.  I knew I didn't want the typical pink room, I wanted something a little different for my one-of-a-kind miracle baby girl!  I also am not a big fan of the ultra-themed rooms.  So, we have selected some beautiful fabrics for the baby bedding (now if I could just find someone to make it!).  The walls are going to be a soft lavender/violet, and the carpet will be neutral.  Here is the plan:



The Walls will be this color with white wood work:



I am reusing an old TV armoire to house her clothing, as well as refinishing an old bombe chest to match.  The closet, of course, has been transformed into a built in changing nook with plenty of storage.  I am undecided whether the closet needs to be painted a deeper shade of plum or the blue-green shade of the birds in the fabric.  One thing is for sure, the shelves will be white.  

So, that is all we have for now  :)  We are planning on starting on this asap so I will be posting before and after pictures for you as we go.  We are doing all the work ourselves, so be patient!!! 

Have a great weekend friends!  And a special thank you to all who have served this country in the armed forces including active military, veterans, and their families!  The sacrifices and gifts you have given to us will never be forgotten. Happy Memorial Day!

1 comment:

  1. Your nursery is going to be gorgeous - can't wait to see it come together! Also, you did the right thing by enlisting the help of Lori and Allison. I think registries can be so very stressful!

    ReplyDelete