Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What's the Secret?



After receiving news that one of my juvenile clients tested positive for marijuana yet again I got to thinking, what is the secret?  What makes a child good or bad; diligent or lazy; responsible or careless?  Is it hereditary or dependent on their environment, or ultimately a combination of both?  As a slightly obsessive perfectionist, what in the world am I going to do without directions on this?   It's just too important to wing it!  

Question at hand:  How do I navigate this parenting thing so as to produce the most responsible, loving, generous, and hard-working person possible?  

I know, I know, it's a little early to worry about what kind of adult our currently-grape-sized fetus turns out to be.  But, then again time flies.  Before we know it the baby will be here; then crawling; then walking; then talking - and all the while learning how to behave from us.

I have tried to think back to the kids I knew well in school.  The kids who navigated high school without a permanent seat in detention, and then the others.  I have failed in identifying similarities in parenting with respect to the successful crew as opposed to the delinquents.  Fact is, I know extremely well-adjusted, successful, responsible people who had lax/non-involved parents.  Then, I can think of juvenile delinquents who grew up with strict, involved parents.  I can think of examples of the visa versa as well.  So, what gives?

This is just such an awesome responsibility.  I want to do the best for my baby.  I just have no clue how to do that.  Any of you mommas/dads out there have some advice?  How did you decide to parent and why?

PS - Our ultrasound has been moved up from Friday to tomorrow!!!  So excited and can't wait to see the heartbeat - We may even be able to hear it!!!!  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment