Thursday, March 31, 2011

Broke? Humf.



Watch out, because Momma's in a bad, bad mood today.

It  seems like every time I turn on the TV or open a newspaper, there is a story claiming that the bottom is dropping out of America's economy.  These stories claim that there is a financial crisis effecting most low to middle income Americans.  That these people are struggling desperately to pay their bills and feed their faces. 

I do believe there is a crisis going on in America.  I think it feeds on low income individuals, and has crept its way into middle-income America.  It is not a financial crisis like many in the media would have you believe.  Yes, the economy is bad.  But, I have yet to see people standing in line for bread.  In fact, what I see is precisely the opposite.

I hardly ever go to the mall.  Unfortunately, we just don't have the disposable income which would allow me to engage in such retail therapy.   I don't get manicures or pedicures.  I haven't gotten my hair cut or colored since November.  It's not that I don't want these things, in fact I would love to.  But, we pay our bills first.  In this house, when it comes down to getting a pedicure or paying the electricity, we pay the electricity.  That's just how I was raised.

I am beginning to think this is becoming the minority opinion in America.  Why?  Because every time I go to a restaurant, it is full.  By full, I mean we have to wait to be seated.  And when I went to the mall with my mom for the first time in a long while last weekend, it was frighteningly packed.  Like, we could not find a parking spot ANYWHERE.  And everyone had bags (except me LOL).  Bags with a "S."  Only two things could account for this:  (1) Louisville, Kentucky is full of ultra-rich people, or (2)  This "financial crisis" is not exactly what it seems.

Need further evidence that our poor and downtrodden really aren't so "poor" and "downtrodden?"  I invite you to come with me to court on Arraignment day.  You would be shocked at how many people claim that they are "indigent" and in need of a state-provided attorney.  And every single one of them is wearing designer duds, with freshly manicured hands, and toting the newest cellphone around.  9/10 are on "disability" or welfare and don't work.  So instead of using their disposable income on paying their bills, these people expect the State to pick up the tab on necessities so they can get air-brushed acrylics.  Its sickening.

So, as I have alluded to in prior blogs, I think America's crisis is less of a financial matter and more of an accountability nature. 

Why this topic today?  Because I am SICK AND TIRED of my clients not paying their bills.  I am self-employed.  If my clients don't pay their bill on time, I cannot pay my bills on time. 

I am an extremely lenient bookkeeper.  I give my clients chance after chance to pay their balances and seldom charge interest or late fees.  I let them create their own payment plans according to their budgets and abilities.  All I ask is that they follow through.  Where does this generosity and understanding get me?  Nowhere.  They just keep taking advantage.

Yet, every time I see them, they are dressed and accessorized to the hilt. And not a one of them looks to be starving.

Seeing as though my current manner of dealing with my clients is causing me financial hardship, I need to make some changes.  It's a shame, really.  I set out to help people in this business.  I allowed them to pay installments toward their legal fee instead of requiring total payment up front like many of my counterparts because I understand the concept of "budget."  I am on one myself.  But, I'm not going to be able to do this anymore.  The constantly growing number of my clients abusing this system has rendered it impossible.

I'm just SICK AND TIRED.

1 comment:

  1. I frequently get hit with the "I have to work so you need to be available to meet with me at exactly 10:15 AM" excuse from students carrying nicer bags and cell phones than me. Pair that with a "You can't count off on spellling and grammar because you didn't mention in the matrix" attitude and I am in need of a martini!
    Your blog is my favorite rediscovery this week. It has me looking forward to my "special Cora time" at work :)

    ReplyDelete