Monday, April 11, 2011

Expecting the Unexpected



For as long as I remember, I have been  (1) Avoiding the baby topic all together, or (2) Focusing all my energy on getting pregnant.  So, I never really gave much thought to what would happen once I actually got pregnant.

I'm not talking about the baby part.  I have been dreaming of having a baby for a very, very long time.  Longer than I admitted to myself or others.  What I'm talking about is the pregnancy part.  As much planning as went into achieving it, I was utterly clueless on what would actually happen to my body once I got pregnant.  I really didn't think, or care, about this seemingly insignificant issue.

So, there have been some surprises so far.  I decided to jot some of them down in case some of you are as ill-prepared as I was.  :)

(1)  I didn't expect to feel so...tired...all the time.  I really feel like I could sleep all day everyday, that is if I could get comfortable (which leads me to number 2).

(2)  I expected to be uncomfortable during the third trimester, but not now!  For the past couple of weeks, I have had the absolute worst time sleeping.  Aside from the frequent trips to the bathroom, I wake up with aches and pains in just about every part of my body.  My thighs and calves are sore; my shoulders and arms too.  And don't even get me started on the carpal tunnel!  I have been waking up to arms and hands that are asleep for seemingly no reason at all.  This is making my hands especially weak during the day, making it hard to even grip my bra in order to hook it.   I absolutely did not expect this.

(3)  Much like above, I am shocked to already be experiencing pelvic girdle pain.  Sometimes I CANNOT STAND OR WALK if I have been sitting too long.  When I do, this horribly sharp pain goes shooting down my back and into my left butt cheek.  I'm only 14 weeks.  What in the heck is this going to be like at 35 weeks?

(4) I seem to be feeling worse the longer we go.  I felt wonderful most of the first trimester.  Other than the headaches and sleepiness, I was absolutely fine.  No nausea, nothing.  Now, I feel like an old geezer anytime I move.  I thought the second trimester was supposed to be the "honeymoon stage" of pregnancy.  What is the deal with that?

(5)  Who knew maternity suits were so damn hard to come by??  I can't find one damn business suit over size 10 in maternity wear.  Well, these boobs and belly didn't fit in size 10 6 months ago, and I can assure you that they won't now.  So, I am stuck wearing cardigans everyday. 

(6)  The hair growth on my body is out of control.  Like seriously, I bet I could grow a beard if I wanted to.  Thanks to my Melungeon heritage, I was already a hairy gal.  But this beats all I ever saw!  There is nothing that makes you feel more attractive that feeling like the bearded lady at the circus, let me tell you.

(7)  My baby bump can go from looking like a 4 month bump to an 8 month bump in an hour's time.  It all comes down to constipation.  It grosses me out, seriously.  I have to be better about staying on the nightly Miralax regiment a friend told me about!



So, that's about it for now.  I'm sure I'll learn more **pleasant** things as the months go by leading up to October.  But at the end of the day, I must say that all the constipation, rogue facial hair, and sharp pains are totally worth it.  Small price to pay for such a precious gift and blessing.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment