Saturday, October 2, 2010

Stuck in Purgatory

My insomnia comes and goes, intensifying and waning depending upon my stress and overall health.  This week has been worse than usual.

I equate insomnia with purgatory.  You're never really asleep, and you're never really awake. It's the in between.  You zombie-walk through your days thinking of nothing but the moment when your head can hit the pillow again.  And alas!  The minute you lay down, your brain finally wakes up and starts working frantically as if to try and catch up.  Your body says NO I"M TIRED, but your brain doesn't listen.  So, there you are.  Your body & your mind are on totally different schedules.  And like always, when it's brains against brawn, brains wins. 

This week has been extremely bad insomnia-wise.  I initially fall asleep (aided by my good friend Ambien), only to wake two to three hours later with NO CHANCE of going back.  Aside from my obvious susceptibility to insomnia, the Provera pills aren't helping matters.  The following are listed as side-effects:   "breast tenderness, breast milk secretion, breakthrough bleeding or spotting (minor vaginal bleeding), irregular periods, absence of menstrual periods, vaginal secretions, headache, nervousness, dizziness, depression, insomnia, sleepiness, fatigue, premenstrual syndrome-like symptoms, thrombophlebitis (inflammation cause by blood clots), itching, hives, skin rash, acne, hair loss, hair growth, abdominal discomfort, nausea, bloating, fever, increase in weight, swelling, changes in vision and sensitivity to contact lenses."  Absent the milk secretion (yuck) and hair loss, I can honestly say I have experienced every single one of these side-effects.

Regardless of the discomfort and inconvenience, I am absolutely committed to doing this.  I want so badly to be a mother, and I want Tom to be the father of my children.  But aside from the purgatory of insomnia, I also feel like I'm stuck in some kind of screwed up fertility-purgatory.  I'm not fertile, obviously,  But I'm not a hopeless case either ~ Doctors believe I will eventually be able to conceive.  Like all those stuck in limbo, I mostly want to know how long I have to stay here.  I  believe this would be so much easier if I could just know how long it was going to last.  Like if someone could say, "Yes, you are going to go through this hell for _____ months, but if you are really good, you will then be released."  Problem is no one can tell me that.  Not Tom, not my mom or sister, and not the Doctor.  I could be stuck here indefinitely.  And, it's the waiting that makes it all the more tragic and difficult.

There is nothing that can be done.  I just keep trying to remind myself of the possibilities.  But, at 3:00 a.m. for the third night in a row, the hours just get harder and harder to pass with a positive attitude.

So, to you Catholics out there, any tips for getting myself out of Purgatory?  Or to the countless others who have shared their incredible fertility treatment journeys with me since starting this blog, do you have any advice on how to get through?  How to get through without driving myself completely insane first, that is?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, help with the waiting part... I hope none of this sounds like I'm oversimplifying anything. I realize you have struggled with this for years! I also know that a lot of this advice is easy to give yet hard to implement. I'll also admit that I didn't have the inconvenience of the provera treatment and the health issues that is bringing, but I did have the waiting. My advice is that even though a baby will be wonderful, once the baby arrives, you will never ever have the freedom you have now to be just you and Tom. So, keep enjoying each other as much as possible. My almost 4 year old is still not a great sleeper, so I don't remember what sleeping in is anymore. So, if you can kick the insomnia, sleep in. Go to nice restaurants that will be harder to enjoy with Jr. or a little princess in tow. Do fun stuff together, even if it's just cuddling under a beautiful fall sky!

    I did start a medication shortly before I got pregnant, but I also started researching adoption and really put getting pregnant on the back burner. Next thing I know, I realized my period was late and I should take a pregnancy test. I've heard the same story from several moms (that they got pregnant when they quit trying). The stress of "trying" seems to make it harder.

    I hope God gives you a baby soon, but in the interim, I hope you find some relief from the stress, insomnia and other miserable side effects. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete