Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Crossing Over with Walletta

Hey all!  I apologize for being MIA lately but we have been super busy.  Tom's father & stepmother were in town and staying with us.  My sister and Ben are also here staying down the street with mom & Dave.  Laura is here for another week (yay) but Ben left us on Sunday (boo).  It has been SO wonderful spending time with our nearest and dearest.

We had an impromptu "family day" on Saturday and headed for Bardstown, Kentucky.  Our first stop was a super-cozy winery/bed and breakfast where we partook in some tasting.  The wine was tasty, but I must say the best part was the company.  Afterwards we made a pit stop at Keanes Depot, a store that specializes in peddling firearms, cold beer, and country ham.  Tom considers it heaven on earth.  To our delight, we also stumbled upon a street arts-and-crafts festival in the middle of downtown.  We meandered around the beautiful little town shopping the booths while we awaited the main event...A SPIRITUAL TOUR OF WICKLAND WITH A MEDIUM!!! 




Wickland is a beautiful old home not far from "My Old Kentucky Home." (and pictured by my blackberry above).  It was built in the early 1830's, and once encompassed hundreds of acres of the rolling hills of Bardstown.  The architecture is amazing, but the story behind this great home is even more impressive.  It is known as the home of "Three Governors."  One of its previous owners had the distinction of being the wife, sister, and mother of a Governor. 

About 10 years ago, I stumbled upon this beautiful home on another trip to Bardstown.  Thinking it was abandoned, I was poking around outside when the front door creaked open.  A short, gray-haired lady met my gaze from the grand entry hall.  I stood there not knowing what to say.  Was she going to call the police?  Did she think I was a crazy criminal?  Or, was she going to put me in a cellar and use me in human sacrifices?  There were sooooo many ways this could go.  When she spoke, however, my fear went away completely.  She extended her hand and offered to tour me around her home.  I followed her inside and listened as she spoke of the home's history and told me stories of her time at Wickland.  She was the wife of a local physician, and had lived in the home since the 40's.  It was absolutely intriguing.  I will never forget that sweet old lady and the time she allowed me into her world.  Fast-forward to Saturday.  I was perusing the Internet for things to do when I found the advertisement for a Spiritual Tour of Wickland.  I was exstatic.  My sister, who had been begging to go to a haunted house since she arrived last week, was immediately on board  :)

We proceeded to the fabled home expecting an old gray haired mystical lady to greet us wearing long black robes and pentagram necklaces.  To our surprise, the medium /tour guide ended up being plural (mediums), twin girls, age 20, who looked more like Teen Vogue models than see-ers of the dead.  However they looked, these two were the real deal.  It was so interesting.  During the tour, we connected with two spirits, both slaves from the 1830's, Walletta and Antwan.  I swear, the things that happened were absolutely not possible absent spirit intervention.  I won't go into detail, but I will say that the whole thing made believers out of a couple of hard-core skeptics in the group.

I have always believed in life after death.  I don't know how you can be Christian and not believe that life goes on.  So, is it that hard to believe that there are a select group of people on this earth that can connect with the afterworld?  A small group of individuals that have heightened senses and can communicate with those who have passed on?  I don't think so. 

That being said, I have visited quite a few "mediums" over the years.  Some were full of crap.  But a couple simply COULD NOT have known the things that were coming out of their mouths without the assistance of one of my family members (dead or alive).  Since they had no access to the ones who were still alive, I am only left with the unshakable opinion that they had a window into the afterworld.  One such medium told me that my Papaw stays constantly by my side and acts as my guardian angel.  I can't tell you how much this warmed my heart.  His death was extremely difficult on me.  And I had felt his presence before, but had always feared that those feelings were mere wishful thinking.  This information not only validated my personal experiences, but made me feel protected and peaceful.  My sister has since been told the same thing about our Mamaw.  Laura was unmistakingly Mamaw's favorite grandchild.  After her passing, a medium made it clear that Mamaw is with Laura all the time.  I know she felt the same feeling of relief and joy.

Anyway, back to the point.  After our tour of Wickland on Saturday night, and after the crowd departed, I asked one of the mediums to accompany me back to the kitchen where we had connected with the spirit of Walletta.  You see, we were using dousing rods which spirits are thought to manipulate in answers to questions.  I did not get to hold the rods while we were talking with Walletta, although Antwan answered many of my questions and even hugged me with the rods.  :)  Our medium, Katie, told us during the tour that Walletta 'knew' things.  That she could answer questions about our future.  The medium didn't know why Walletta seemed to know the future, but said to her knowledge Walletta's answers all proved to be correct.

So after hours, standing in the kitchen of Wickland with only Katie, Tom, and my sister, I asked Walletta the only question I wanted an answer for.  I asked Walletta whether we would ever be blessed with children.  I said it outloud, voice cracking and eyes tearing up before finishing my question. I watched as the dousing rods began to move.  I felt an unseen force push them from one position to another, where they rested crossed in front of me in the shape of an "X".  This was Walletta's signal for "yes."  I cried. 

Maybe I'm crazy for believing.  Maybe this 20 year old Abercrombie and Fitch model was merely a cleverly disguised con artist.  Maybe the nearly 200 year old home was wired to move the dousing rods back and forth.  I guess no one ever can say for sure.  But, I can tell you as sure as I am alive that I didn't move the rods.  And, I can tell you that whatever other people think, I believe my new, but old friend, Walletta.

Happy Halloween to everyone (and yes, the above-statements are true and not merely for entertainment purposes)!  When you are putting John or Jane into those cute little Halloween costumes, please remember how wonderfully blessed you are.  There are people out there (me) that would do anything to have someone to dress up other than myself.  I guess I will just spend another Halloween in my witch costume (which is fabulous, by the way) waiting for the day that I can be accompanied by a little pumpkin or goblin.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment