Thursday, August 25, 2011

Blueprint for a Happy Life



I often sit and think about the kind of person I would like Lana to become. 

It took me a number of years to learn some of the lessons I have written below.  There are some I still struggle to live by.  But, they are the "rules" that I try to follow in my life and the ones that I think lead to happiness and contentment.  After all is said and done, these two things are worth more than all the money in the world.   

So, here is my blueprint for raising our daughter.  I hope in the midst of all the madness that is sure to come, we never lose sight of the big picture; i.e. Lana's happiness:  

~You only have one life.  Success, achievement, wealth, and comfort are all very nice.  But absolutely nothing will replace true happiness.

~Happiness can only really be found in loving yourself and those around you.

~Love is a risk always worth taking.

~Be kind to others first.  You never know what kind of struggles and battles they are busy fighting in their own lives.

~Be honest with yourself and others. Doing so will save you a heap of trouble AND earn you the respect of others...even those who disagree with you.  

~Accept help when you need it.  This does not make you weak, but actually demonstrates your inner strength.

~Be gentle to and love your fur-babies.  There will be days when your furry friends will be the only ones who can stand to be around you.

~Family is everything.  No matter how crazy, meddling, opinionated, or lovingly dysfunctional, they really do have your best interests at heart. 

~Failure is O.K.  Making mistakes is part of life and how we learn.  It's the part that comes after that matters the most.

~Strive to forgive people.  Forgiveness does not mean you have to like a person or choose to surround yourself with them.  But carrying hatred in your heart takes away from your own inner peace and happiness.

~There will be days when you feel like no one cares.  There will be days when you feel all alone in this world.  It's those days that I want you to read back through this blog.  Remember that you are a miracle and dream come true to me and your father.  And as long as we are here, you will never be alone.


xoxo
   

No comments:

Post a Comment