Monday, December 6, 2010

Blessings in Disguise

As a bit a of control freak, I tend to get very annoyed when things "don't go my way" as Tom would say.  Thus, I get nervous when plans get messed up or changed at the last minute.  I am working on this and trying to remind myself that the "plans" I make may not always be what the universe has in mind.  And, in the end, I really do believe that things happen for a reason.

One of these incidents happened this weekend.  Tom and I were supposed to attend a party Saturday afternoon at our good friends' home.  Ashton and Kyle are a hilarious pair.  They are engaged to be married this spring, and I couldn't be happier for them.  They had their annual "chili cookoff" on Saturday afternoon in honor of Kyle's birthday. Tom and I made our chili together Friday night and let it simmer in the crock pot all night.  We combined my Mamaw's Appalachian chili recipe with Tom's Texas/Oklahoma style chili.  It turned out awesome ~ I personally think we would have won first prize.  Saturday morning, Tom left for work and we were supposed to leave as soon as he got home.  He was only scheduled to work 1/2 a shift to help with the Christmas parade.  The party started around 11, and we were going to leave as soon as Tom got home which was supposed to be around 12.

Well, then there came the snow.  Tom had to stay over at work, and I was left sitting at home waiting for him to come home.  By the time he got here, he was cold, wet, and tired.  All he wanted to do was snuggle and rest.  I was disappointed and felt bad because we had to cancel on our friends.  For the old Amanda, this could have ruined my day.  But, instead, I chose to make the best of the situation and I'm so glad I did.

So, we took the chili to my mother's house (2 doors down) and watched movies in front of the fire with her and my stepfather Dave.  It was a lazy, cozy, night.  We all sat in our pj's, drank wine, and just relaxed.  It was wonderful spending quality time with family.  And it was just the thing both Tom and I needed. 

It just goes to show that maybe I don't always know best.  That sometimes, despite my best laid plans, I should just relax and let life happen.

And I think the same reasoning could be applied to our fertility struggles.  Although nobody wants to go through this, it has made us stronger.  It has confirmed to me just how committed and supportive Tom really is.  And hopefully, our struggle will make us that much more appreciative when it finally does happen. 

1 comment:

  1. oh!I can so relate to the control freak thing. Even though I am better, due to being around Bernie who as you know is ultra-laid back, I still get this uncontrollable tick like feeling if things don't go the way I plan....oh, WHY is that so hard to let go!!!

    ReplyDelete